1. Analyze from the meaning of the word
Procrastination” refers to the postponed behavior with negative consequences and avoidable; while “lazy” is a life-oriented word. The factors related to procrastination are generally lack of confidence, lack of motivation, impulsive distraction, and distant rewards. The factors related to laziness are generally laziness, ease of work, lack of desire for action, etc. The main reason is the lack of motivation rather than psychological reasons.
From the perspective of the root cause of laziness, delaying something because of lack of motivation is not necessarily procrastinating, but sometimes it is a kind of self-protection. But when this matter has to be done and it is more beneficial to do it in time, the delay caused by “laziness” can be regarded as a delay.
In this way, people who are in a “lazy” state may be content to enjoy themselves, rather than producing negative emotions. In addition, from the perspective of the reasons for procrastination, it is by no means limited to “laziness.” Emotional problems, distraction problems, and delay problems (that is, distant returns) can all cause procrastination. Therefore, it is too arbitrary to put these two labels on yourself or others directly.
2. Analysis from the psychological state
People with procrastination are willing to believe that they have special talents or “extraordinary” potential, but in private, they are afraid that they are not. They dare not try their best, and they are afraid of discovering that they are not as smart, so talented, and so special as they imagined. They also procrastinate. They do not seek the mental treatment they need, so that they can attribute their failures to anxiety. They abuse drugs and alcohol, so they can be blamed on hangovers and insomnia. They accepted the task but failed to put it into practice. The irony is that they fear failure, and in the end they hinder their success. Although their self-esteem is protected for a while, in the long run, they miss their goals and eventually live in regret and a sense of failure.
Lack of self-confidence. Some staff members always have to face one or another problem in their work, and they will inevitably encounter major setbacks in their work. People who are not confident enough in themselves will have a strong escape mentality, thinking that they are not capable enough, and encounter problems. I just want to get rid of it. If I can’t face it, I can’t face it. I can’t handle the job at all. In fact, the main reason is that I didn’t work hard enough; I just want not to do. Some people are ambitious, full of illusions about work tasks, and work planning. They speak endlessly, but they are slow to put them into practice. On another level, this kind of person can be said to be a member of procrastination; laziness always feels that work is very difficult, always hinting that he can’t handle it, and he is unwilling to take the initiative to deal with work actively. The work state is lazy, decadent, and feels doing Everything is difficult.
What should I do if I suffer from procrastination?
1. Try to accept that you have procrastination. It can be said that most people have procrastination. In fact, procrastination is most common in people who pursue perfection and do things seriously and responsibly. It is precisely because of “or do the best if you don’t do it”, it leads to procrastination, dare not start, but often complete the task at the last moment. This also shows that people who procrastinate are actually very smart. If they do it at the beginning, they may change and change, which is time-consuming. It is better to do it all at once when the eyebrows are burnt. Of course, the quality of the tasks completed in this way may not be much better, and the intermediate process is also quite painful, and it is not good to play, and I am worried that the task has not been completed.
2. I often ask myself one sentence: “Is what I am doing now is the most important thing?” This is the experience of the founder of “must die” Zuckerberg. He is very busy but never delays. Many seemingly impossible tasks and plans can be accomplished by this simple sentence.
3. Set a fixed time and develop a habit: For example, at 7-9 a.m. every night, sitting at the desk unmoved, not playing mobile phones or games, it is a bit boring, so what should I do? Why not try to start work or study! You will find that you can complete a lot of tasks ahead of schedule, which surprises you, and the more you do it, the easier it is, the more confidence you have, and the psychological burden will disappear. Remember to reward yourself in time.
4. Learn to distinguish primary and secondary, and prioritize things to be done.
Classification: There are definitely some unexpected and urgent problems in life. Successful people spend their time doing the most important, not the most urgent things. Divide all the tasks into four categories: urgent but not urgent, urgent but not urgent, urgent but not important, and neither urgent nor important, and complete them in sequence.
Decomposition: Divide large tasks into small tasks.
5. Eliminate interference. Turn off WeChat and QQ, turn off music, turn off TV…Isolate everything that affects your work efficiency, and do one thing with all your heart and soul.
6. Supervise each other. Finding some friends to overcome this bad habit is much easier than going alone.
7. Set more specific goals. You might as well divide the task into small targets that can be controlled. When your home looks like a garbage station, it may be unrealistic to make it immediately clean, but it is not too difficult to clean the desk for 15 minutes.
8. Don’t give yourself too long. Psychologist Foval found that graduate students who spend two years completing their dissertations can always give themselves some time to relax and rest. Those who spend three or more years writing papers are collecting materials and writing almost every minute. Therefore, sometimes the longer the working hours, the lower the work efficiency.
9. Don’t beautify pressure. Don’t believe in false statements like “There must be a brave man under pressure”. You can draw up a timetable and set short-term, medium-term and long-term goals to avoid delaying everything to the last minute.
10. Seek professional help. If procrastination is so serious that it affects your future, you may wish to see a psychologist. Cognitive behavioral therapy may be effective.